- Via BookSlut, God Bless the USA. If you have an opinion other than "U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!", however, please sit down and shut up.
- 1 in 4: the untapped audience! Publishers, start your engines. (Maybe that’s the wrong phrase to use.)
- I don’t recall where I saw this originally (sorry!) but n+1 has a new target: e-mail. A lot of hand-wringing with a tiny kernel of truth.
- Facebook potential realized? First Book works to put books in the hands of kids who might not otherwise get them. Combat joyful ignorance.
- Music news! Oh no, thought I – another album from a movie star. These never turn out well. Except this movie star is Scarlett, whose voice I very much appreciate. Ugh, thinks I – why must she debase herself with knuckleheaded pop confections? Wait. I was wrong.
AP: What about this album you’re releasing? It’s all Tom Waits covers?
Johansson: I’ve always been a huge fan ofand I had this kind of golden opportunity to make an album however I wanted and it’s kind of a dream chance. … Originally I thought that I would do an album of standards and I wanted to include a Tom Waits song. And I don’t know, I thought maybe everybody does standards, and so, I see Tom Waits as being kind of a composer of modern standards and so it seemed appropriate that I could interpret his songs. Obviously, it’s not an album where I’m trying to sound like him. It would be impossible. He writes such beautiful songs and incredible melodies and they’re so cinematic and kind of open-ended so I felt like it would be something that I could be inspired by.
- After the Quake to be produced for BBC radio. I live in the wrong country.
- Portland! The late Casco Bay Books is profiled on Maud’s site.
- Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations is available as a free audio download.